Musings is a compilation of thoughts, ideas, opinions...and general useless random writings.
Friday, August 28, 2015
The Quiet and the Dark
It's been a rough week; what can I say? There's also a full moon and maybe that's part of it. As usual, there's nothing worthwhile on TV, so I fixed my bedtime tea and decided to sit on the porch and ponder. Maybe, it's because I'm in one of my internal, withdrawn, reflective moods, and that's when I realized how much I like dark. I've been in the City since 2008 after spending almost 15 years living rural. I spent 12 years on 12 O'Clock Knob and almost 3 years on Windy Gap Mountain. I miss them both for different reasons, but I love city living for equally different reasons. One thing I miss about mountain living is the dark and the quiet. That does not exist in the city. I was only on the porch for 5 minutes and I felt overwhelmed by the street lights, dogs barking, and the sound of a distant siren.. I almost never heard a siren in those 15 years of rural life. What a huge intrusion!
There is a certain comfort in dark and quiet. I like it when I know, almost for certain, that there will be no harsh lights and sounds to intrude on my thoughts. Some folks are comforted by sounds - the sounds of life all around. Maybe, it's a security thing. I like the sound of nothingness -the sound of dark and the sound of quiet. It gives me the opportunity to think...uninterrupted by the sounds of life.
There have been too many sounds this week...sad sounds. Maybe, it's just the full moon, but I'm longing for the quiet of a mountain, and the sounds of nothingness.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment