Wednesday, August 26, 2015

A Time to Reflect



Today was a horrifically sad day for Roanoke and our neighbors at Smith Mountain Lake.  The gunning down of two beautiful young people has left a hole in the hearts of many.  I can't imagine that anyone didn't feel a basketball  in the pit of their stomach over this.  Even if we didn't know these folks personally, they played a a part in our lives, in a direct or indirect way.  Our friend, Vicki Gardner at the Smith Mountain Lake Chamber has undergone surgery and is on the road to recovery, at least physically.  I can't fathom what she is going to be dealing with on a mental and spiritual level when she learns the full impact of this tragedy.

I was out only a couple of times, briefly today.  But, I noticed that the world was moving a lot slower than usual.  Traffic was slower and the few people that I came in contact with were quieter, more reserved...just moving as if in slow motion.  Or maybe, it was just me.  I was pretty weepy today.  I didn't know Alison or Adam, and Vicki is an acquaintance.  But, this really knocked the winds out of my sails.  I love SML; I have friends who have places there.  I meet friends at Moosies a lot.  It's a happy place, not a place associated with bad things or bad people.  I'm supposed to meet a friend there for lunch on Saturday.  I'm sure it will take my breath, just as it did when I was on the Virginia Tech campus a year or so, after those horrible mass murders.

I just think this is a time to reflect on who we are as human beings and what we believe in.  The stuff has already started about gun rights, racism, mental illness and who knows whatever else the media will try to milk out of this horrible event.  We need to take a serious look at where we are  and what our values are and our relationship with violence, hatred, and fear, and how we deal with those issues.  We stick our heads in the sand and say, "there is no problem and my way is right and your way is wrong".   We are the most violent of cultures and we are one angry, fearful  lot. 

Maybe, It's time to slow down and think ... and reflect.

No comments:

Post a Comment