I have a wonderful friend. My first memory of her was back in 1991 (I think - I suck at dates). I bought a home and she was the home owner. I bought this little country church that she and her family had renovated and raised 4 children there. My first memory of her was that she was standing in the doorway, as I was painting a bedroom in my new little house, and she was sobbing. I was ecstatic at owning this little piece of heaven and she was mourning the loss of her family's little piece of heaven. I remember feeling so guilty, in spite of my joy.
There was a connection at that point - I can't explain it. We were so different. She had a huge family, at least by my standards. She had (and still has) a husband and 4 children, and now, a handful of grandchildren; I, an only child, just out of a failed marriage, and trying to find a place to heal and find myself. I spent 13+ years in that house and still have my wonderful friend.
Over the last 20+ years, she has taught me so much. She is one of the most generous and giving people I know. She is not wealthy; she doesn't have a big bank account. Her generosity comes from within. It's about the time she spends with friends who are sick, or people who need her kindness, or her willingness to do for others. She has patience and kindness that is rare in a society that is so "me" oriented and fast-paced.
She teaches me to be more patient and more giving. It seems that whatever her burdens, she always has time to give to others. She has taught me to ask, "is there something I can do for you?"
Thank you, my friend.

No comments:
Post a Comment