Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Religious This and That



OK, I really have a bug up my butt this evening.  I got myself embroiled in this conversation, mostly with Lynchburgers regarding the kid at Timberlake Christian School - the one you saw on the news.  She's a tomboy with a short hair cut and likes to wear jeans.  The administration apparently decided she wasn't "Christian-like" or appropriately dressed as a female should be.  Well, I jumped all over that shit.  Just so you'll know,  Lynchburg is my hometown, so I feel like I'm allowed my discourse.  I've been gone from there for 27 years now, but I remember well the impact of the JF Regime.  No doubt, it is strong and unrelenting.

My gripe is that the so-called "Christian" sector seems to think they have the upper hand in dictating how the rest of the population should think.  But, hasn't that always been the case?  In reading all the posts on Facebook, I kept seeing the words, "I'm a Christian", references to the Bible, this quote, that quote, and what I was hearing was that, "I am superior, and my thinking trumps yours, because, I am this, or I am that.

No doubt, I will offend some of my friends with this post.  I am not saying one group is right or one is wrong, but superiority is not an issue here.  What is an issue is how we treat others, respect them, and honor their differences.

Honestly, I don't know if I am a Christian, and at this point I don't know that I want to be one, based on some of the crap I read tonight from some of those judgmental folks who called themselves "Christians".

I was fortunate to take a course in high school that explored the many diverse religions and  belief systems in our world.  I found that I embraced a little bit of this and little bit of that, but I didn't fit into one bracket.  I was a little Christian, a little Catholic, a little Jewish, a little Episcopalian, a little Muslim, somewhat New-Age,  a little agnostic, and sometimes, I didn't believe jack-crap!  What I did learn was that I was spiritual and I gained a knowledge and respect for other cultures and their beliefs.  I think it is called "tolerance" and "acceptance".  More of us should try it - it would help dissipate some of the anger in our society.
 
I hope that I never become so narrow-minded that I can't see someone else's point of view.  I don't have to agree with it, but just acknowledge it as being their reality, and not pass judgement.

This post may be completely paradoxical depending on your interpretation.  Oh well...it's my blog, so I can say what I want to.  

No comments:

Post a Comment